Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Drunk Dialed

I awoke with a start from a shallow slumber, the ring of a phone echoing in my subconscious. I flicked on my bedside lamp and groped around for the offending cell phone with the fleeting thought that it wasn’t that long since my head had hit the pillow. As I groggily answered the phone I glanced at my clock- 2:24 am.

It took me a few seconds to register the voice on the other end of the line and I had to start laughing. Fortunately for the offending party I hadn’t been asleep for very long and I was still feeling surprisingly awake. It was the interim goalie Constable Neil, home from the bar and intoxicated enough that he found the courage to call me, “to say hi.” We hadn’t seen each other in two weeks and despite some flirting at hockey and online we had only hung out alone once, with nothing happening.

I spent the next 30 minutes laughing, flirting and having my arm twisted to show up at his place to hang out. Despite having been asleep in bed the clincher came when he said that he had to leave town early tomorrow morning and I wouldn’t see him until next weekend if I didn’t come out. I knew it would be longer than that since I wouldn’t be back in the hometown for the next 2 weeks due to work commitments. It was in that moment that I decided to do something stupid and spontaneous, since I had no idea if the window of opportunity for us would still be open 2 or 3 weeks from now when we had time to meet up again.

Twenty minutes after getting dressed and sneaking out of the house I pulled the car up to the curb outside his house and cut the engine. As I took a deep breath and got out I saw that he had been waiting for me in the dark, sitting outside on his front steps in the humid night air. As he stood up and walked towards me I wondered what it would be like to kiss him.

No comments: