Monday, February 27, 2006

Late Nights and First Kisses

“You’re not still upset about me ditching you on Monday, are you?” I teased.

“Yes,” he replied softly, intently watching me. His eyes pierced through me and I had to look away as an impudent grin flashed across my lips.

His eyes never wavered from my face. The air between us was electric and heavy as the hour grew late. Months of shameless flirting off the ice and intense competition on the ice had culminated in this moment and here we sat, in an empty parking lot as the clock crept closer and closer to sunrise.

“You’re going to hold it over me forever, aren’t you?” I countered back as I finally lifted my eyes towards him.

“Probably.”

“So,” I said with a sigh, “what are we going to do about that?”

“You could come over here and try to make it up to me.”

A smile played over his face and there was a glimmer in his eye as he slightly leaned closer to me.

I took a breath and leaned over, my eyes closing as our lips met for the first time. The kiss was soft, yet insistent and passionate. All his bravado and ego seemed to melt away in that moment as our hands entwined and the kiss grew deeper. Reluctantly our lips parted and I rested my head on his shoulder while looking up into his eyes.

“Still upset with me?” I whispered.

“Maybe…”

I laughed as I reached up to caress his hair and bring his head lower so I could kiss him again.

“I’ve wanted to do that for so long,” He said quietly, almost to himself, after we parted for the second time. His hand played through my hair and stroked my cheek as we just grinned at each other, the sun turning the inky darkness a soft mottled pink around the horizon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a few months now and thought it was time to drop you a note. While I enjoy your writing - I'm sure you know you write beautifully - I mainly read it in the hope of gaining a little more insight into my personal situation. You remind me of a person I have known for many years. She was brilliant and depressed; I was her Mr. Intellectual. Over the years I've come to realize how little I understood of what she was going through then. We eventually got married, and have enjoyed many years of (sometimes tumultuous) happiness together, but I've never stopped trying to understand what she was feeling in the days when we were first getting to know each other. Your writing is one of the few things that helps give me the vocabulary to talk coherently with her about these times.

Jane Canuck said...

Thank-you for this comment Annonymous and for reading my words- I'm truly honoured. As much as it hurts me to hear that someone else has/is going through what I have gone through and continue to experience, it's nice to know that perhaps I am shedding a little light into a difficult situation. Sometimes I feel like I'm obsessing over all the nuances of a relationship that will never be again, but I have to get it out somewhere. If my pain helps your relationship then it will have been for a reason. Good luck, I know it's not easy at times.