Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Emotional Blackmail

For the last several months I’ve allowed a “friend” to emotionally blackmail me. Why? Part of me just didn’t want to deal with it and the instability that this person exhibited. I had bigger things going on and I have difficulty standing up for myself at the best of times. I was hoping against hope that the person would come to and exhibit a newfound maturity and we could perhaps be real friends. Obviously that hasn’t happened and most likely won’t.

Today I stood up for myself. After another confusing and angry outburst from the “friend” over email I could not sit back any more and allow myself to be controlled by their actions. I’m fed up with allowing people to walk all over me so I firmly, but politely severed all contact. It is something that I have been trying to do for the past 5 months or so.

Next I need to work on the skills necessary for a polite rejection. I’m horrible with letting men who are interested in dating me know that I’m not interested in a second or third date. Like the typical woman I have difficulty being assertive. I absolutely hate confrontation and disappointing people, especially if I have to see them again in the future. However, by not making my feelings known and standing up for myself I only make things worse and unnecessarily allow it to negatively affecting my daily life.

No comments: