Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Unexpected Kindness

This evening as I drove home from an unusually irritating shift, I expected to come home to an empty house and instead found The Contractor working on the side door. The Contractor has become a family friend after helping not only my brother in his house, but also my father with the rental property in my University town with some projects and upgrades. He was working on the place on the day I moved in right after the stalking so he knows a little bit of my troubles and what brings me to the neighbourhood. He helped my Dad install a new front door with a deadbolt and double lock for me. It was November and too cold to work on the side door since a cement cutter would be needed. The job was postponed until spring and warmer weather prevailed.

When I pulled up to the house his van was unexpectedly in the driveway and a new side door was installed. We chatted for a bit about business and life and what he had left to do on the house tomorrow. Just as I was opening the front door to go inside he stopped me. The Contractor told me that he had left a box of pizza from lunch in my fridge and there were two slices left, just help myself if I wanted it. It was an unexpected gesture from TC but just what I needed at the moment. I had been feeling so beat down and disillusioned with human nature. His small and seemingly inconsequential act reminded me not to lose faith in people or with men.

No comments: