Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Long Drive Home

The tears streamed silently down my face, my chest heavy with a weight that wasn’t going away easily. I felt like I couldn’t breath and yet the air was still going in and out of my lungs. For the next hour I just let the tears come, as I made the familiar journey from my hometown back to my University town. The outside world matched my inside turmoil, a landscape of swirling fog, grey drizzle and a biting chill that seemed out of place for late spring. As much as I wanted to pull over and just stop, I wanted to get home to hide under the covers of my bed even more. Like a thread drawn taut and then snaps from the force, I felt myself break like that string and my emotions went numb. As the numbness washed over me I felt myself slipping into the familiar and yet dangerous territory that will require medication before I can fight my way out again.

No comments: