Monday, March 06, 2006

Lies

There is very little that actual brings me to anger. However, the fastest way to make me angry is if I catch you in a lie. I don’t know what it is about lies that turns my blood cold and immediately causes me to become upset. During the 6-year tenure with Mr. Intellectual I constantly caught him lying to me, and it became a source of great disappointment. Perhaps the most upsetting aspect of his lies is how unnecessary they were since they generally came in the form of little white lies and exaggerations. When I asked him once why he lied so much about such trivial things he said that he did it to make his life seem more interesting, to make people like him more. Every time I caught him fibbing little details of a story in a social situation I would not only become silently irritated but also embarrassed. When he pulled it on me during our alone time it was hurtful and I felt disrespected- like he didn’t think enough of me to just be himself and not embellish on the truth, or that he expect I was too stupid to see through it.

I understand the big lies, not that I condone them, but it is the trivial little white lies that I have no patience for. For me, lying is a deal breaker. Ever since Mr. Intellectual I have made it a rule not to tolerate lying, especially not the little ones. I expect and deserve a certain level of trust and honesty with the man I choose to have a relationship with. I’d rather be alone than settle for any less after trying to come to terms with it for six years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have to write my blog anymore I can just link my friends to yours! You say it so much better than I ever could. I hope there's a cure for this chronic depression and low self-esteem. What causes it?! That's what I would like to know. Genetics...? I hate it.

Anyway, I'll be checking back for sure.
<3

Jane Canuck said...

Tanessa, thank you for your kinds words. I too wonder what causes it all. Is it genetics, circumstances, an inability to deal with stress? It gives me pause when I think about having children in the future because I don't know if I could live with myself if I passed this down onto one of them.

Again, thanks for reading. It always surprises me that someone aside from myself is interested in my life.