Wednesday, May 11, 2005

In the Drive-thru

I began my summer job this past Monday. Due to a myriad of confidentiality agreements I signed I can't write about it at all. Which is unfortunate since it's a rather unusal work place and almost everyday, particularily in the summer, there's some sort of action going on that would be blog worthy. Alas, the restrictions.

There is a mandatory four day training session every spring for returning students, regardless of how many summer's you've been there. This is partially due to union stipulations, partially for legal reason's and partially since legislation can change dramatically from year to year and we need to be up on it all, since everything we do is mandated by various pieces of legislation. The training days can be long, boring and mentally exhausting to say the least. This morning I managed to leave myself enough time before the 8 am start to pop into the Tim Horton's drive through and grab myself a coffee. As usual, the drive through was busy and I had to que up with the rest of the early morning commuters.

I noticed the guy in line behind me almost immediately. There was some weird hand actions going on, but because of the slight curve in the drive through I couldn't really see what was going down, but it attracted my attention immediately. I kind of figured the guy was picking his nose, because as every commuter knows- in the safety of the car, you can do anything undetected, regardless of the tinting. Just as I came to this conclusion, the line moved forward a bit and I could get a clear view of what this man was up to. He was vigorously flossing his teeth! It was a performance that went on for several minutes while we all waited for our coffee. He would joyfully alternate between a brisk floss and sucking off the food particles from his dental floss while examining his pearly whites in the rear view mirror. I just wish I had my digital camera to get photographic evidence of the performance. I couldn't help but laugh, since he clearly had no idea we could all see what he was up to. Not to mention the fact that perhaps he might have thought of flossing after his morning coffee, instead of before?

In other news, I turn 24 today. I'm not a huge fan of birthday's and celebrations, not because they represent aging but rather because I like to fly under the radar and keep a low profile. That's kind of hard when you're the reason people are gathering.

No comments: