Thursday, January 12, 2006

Occupational Hazard?

Early last week I was working from home trying to get a few things done in anticipation of the start of the Winter Semester. At one point I leaned over to pick up a textbook from my floor and somehow, either through the weight of it or my awkward one handed grab I managed to pull a muscle in my shoulder! The whole incident would have been hilarious if it wasn’t for how tragically pathetic it is, compounded with the annoyance that a week later I am still in pain over that book. Despite the fact that it probably only weighed in around 5 pounds or so, the shoulder must have been wrenched worse than I thought since I’m having problems working at my desk for extended periods. I’m guessing it’s a combination of shoulder injury and poor posture that leaves me hunched up in pain. As a grad student it’s my job to lug around books and I can’t even seem to do that properly!

When I regaled my hockey team with the tale over post-game drinks at the local bar I was heckled for obvious reasons. I’m now accepting applications for a research assistant, namely someone to shuffle my books too and fro for me so I can avoid any more injury. Any takers?

2 comments:

Jane Canuck said...

Hey Tania, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'm in Southern Ontario, but I love Ottawa and hope to live there one day, possibly soon.

I really would encourage you to go back to school, even if you've been out for a few years. It can be a struggle at times if you're depressed, but in the long run it can be great since it pushes me to get out of the house when I just don't feel like it and gives some sort of order to my life.

As for grad school, I'd recommend taking it one step at a time. Finish your undergrad and then reassess if you think you're up for grad school, otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming, especially if things don't go as well as you had planned. I started out as a Psych major and still find aspects of it really interesting. Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

Anonymous said...

Jane,

Just checking in on your blog to see how the world (and your depression) is treating you.

-James