Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pieces II

The Hero: Well I am married but not really and not for much longer, I just kinda live here. You've never asked me about it.

Jane Canuck: Not really?

JC: What's that?

TH: But I also am a realist and I know I'm just a distraction and a safe one.

TH: My life at home.

JC: I don't know how "safe" you are...but whatever.

JC: And why is it "not really" married?

TH: Well I don't have a relationship like that with my wife. It’s a long story but she suffers from depression and is an alcoholic. [ Now where have I heard that before?]

JC: Is she getting any help?

TH: After my daughter was born she started acting really weird when her dad would come around and then I finally pushed about it. She had never told anyone her father raped her from when she was 7- 13.

TH: We had a great sex life before that and a good relationship but then she kinda never got through it. She’s been to many counselors.

TH: She is finally in a new session right now for victims.

JC: And?

TH: Well, we'll see but I don't think we can salvage our relationship but I do love her and hope she can at least find some peace and happiness in her life.

JC: How long have you been married?

TH: I mean our sex life is non-existent. She turned all sexual attention into a bad thing and started treating me like a pervert for wanting to have sex with her.

TH: 15 years, not married common law.

JC: But the ring?

TH: Yes.

JC: How long have you been screwing around on her?

TH: The last six or seven years but not very often, I really don’t have much time cause I end up doing most of everything around here.

JC: If it’s so bad, why not just get out?

TH: I like my kids and I couldn’t really leave them with her and I didn’t want to be a weekend dad and I’m a coward. I know that’s what you will say, but I just want things to be okay for them. She has lots of problems but they love her.

JC: Of course they do, she’s their mom…they don’t know all this side stuff.

TH: I did throw her out about 2 months ago. That’s why she’s back in therapy now.


This is like a case of bad Déjà vu. Do they all carry around the same cheat-sheet to make sure they get the story straight? Is this the one that garners the most sympathy and has been known to get the best results? Ugh…

No comments: