Thursday, January 25, 2007

An Incomprehensible Loss

There are times in a person's life when words fail. Now is one of those times. A very good family friend and a man I consider as a brother has experienced a heartbreaking loss this week. He and his wife were expecting their first child this coming May. Late last week she went into early labour, and despite the best efforts of the Doctors they were only able to stop her premature labour for a few days.

On Monday morning she gave birth to a tiny baby girl. Their little angel weighed in at barely a pound and a half at 23.5 weeks. She was born alive, but once the umbilical cord was cut she didn't make it. A private funeral is being held tomorrow followed by interment. This is a loss I just can't make sense of.

I can't even begin to understand what the family is going through, let alone his wife who returned home Monday afternoon, without her baby. They are a young couple, only a year or two older than myself, and were so excited to be starting their family. I sit here in tears for them, but I know my grief is nothing compared to their own. Tomorrow while I'm defending my Master's thesis they will be burying their tiny baby. Life just does not make sense to me right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear PH.Depressed,

I have been reading your blogs and you know what is interesting? The more I am reading your blogs, the more similarities I am finding between your life and mine. For instance , I am doing PH.D (I am at the verge of submitting the thesis) and I have also celebrated major events this year like the New Year alone with my parents, at home. Moreover I get depressed ocassionally without a rhyme or a reason. Even though I would be like your elder sister, because I am 29 years of age, I think that your thoughts, experiences and feelings about life is almost the same as mine.
I have earlier posted a comment on one of your May 2005 posts. I hope you have read it. PLese let me know through one of your blogs if my posts have reached you or not. I would be grateful to you if you read my posts and say something in return.
I will try to read your blogs as often as possible.
You are doing a great job. Keep it up, sister.

Anonymous

Jane Canuck said...

Hi Anonymous- I read all comments left for me and appreciate all of them. I don't always respond since I'm never sure if the person who left them ever comes back and checks or not.

Congradulations on approaching your Ph.D thesis. I'm sure it's been quite a process to get there. What program/field is your degree in, if you don't mind me asking? I always love hearing what other people are doing and how they got into it.

~ Jane