Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Digital Camera

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a digital camera. I will always love my 35mm Canon AE-1, but sometimes it's just not practical to lug a large manual camera to certain events. It just doesn't work for parties and it's certainly not that attractive to carry in a huge camera bag in a sleek evening dress. So, for most events I've just left the big camera at home and not taken any pictures. I had been asking around and checking out some websites for reviews on decent, reliable digital compact's and decided on the Canon Powershot S500.

Well, that all changed once I talked to the very knowledgeable owner of my local independently owned camera store. I trusted the guy since he sold me my 35mm and I couldn't have found a better fit for what I needed at the time. He was very open and upfront and totally sold me on the Canon powershot SD400- even though it was a little more than I had planned on spending, I think it'll be worth it.

The whole reason I decided to make the plunge and buy a digital, is because I got a $600 travel bursary from the department this semester for my thesis. However, I won't be using it to travel for my research since I picked a fairly local topic to work with, and a whole lot of travel just isn't in my future at this point. It's only an MA afterall! I'm saving up my money for some serious travel once I get to my Ph.D in a year and I'm sure I'll appreciate the camera a whole lot then.

No comments: